My first date with Encaustic
Since I actively started working on my art and art career here in the US from mid of 2010, I often heard the term Encaustic.
After a little google search, I learned that it is a very old art form, from Egypt that got lost in between and is now getting highly popular. Encaustic is created using hot wax. What I liked about the encaustic paintings is the finish, the vibrancy, the abstracts, the texture, and the mystery it brings to the paintings.
To demystify this mystery. I took an Encaustic workshop at The Encaustic Center last weekend.
Preparing for the class, I got a book from the library on Encaustic and went through it so as to get myself familiarized with the vocabulary, which was very helpful during the workshop.
Deanna Wood was our Instructor and she first started with a little bit of the history and then went on explaining how to work through the basic layering of wax with brush and scrapping. After the demo she left us to play and to make our own tiny creations.
My Second.....see those over scarping on the right???...I am still learning!
The second session was about collage, transfers and use of mixed media. After Deanna left us to play, I created a zentangle chakra on a transfer and an Indian guy which did not turn out pretty well...but hey I am just 4 tiles old......
Indian guy.....isn't he scary??
In the third session , Deanna taught us about the creating textures...and since I love textures I had a blast experimenting this one.
Finally getting a hold on Encaustic.....Yet another Ganesha
An abstract....See those textures??
Encaustic involves hot wax and fumes and since I live in an apartment with young children, I won't be making encaustic paintings at home. But The Encaustic Center has an option of working there using their materials for a small fee. So Yes I am going to explore more soon.
I have to thank the Woodcreek church for the scholarship and for the opportunity they gave me to learn a new art form.
Sign Up!! for Monthly Ezine with updates, Freebies, Discounts...
Meet Sandhya Manne
Hey there... Glad to see you here!! I am a self-taught Indian Artist living in Garland,Texas with my husband, and two little kids. I paint everyday at my studio in the Mall. While my predominant medium is oils and Ink drawings, I also enjoy creating mixed media.. Since the start of my art career in 2009, my artworks have been part of private collections in Canada, USA and India. I am currently exhibiting through juried shows in Dallas-Fort Worth area. Learn More
- 2013 (53)
- May (4)
- April (3)
- March (8)
- February (9)
- January (29)
- Ho Hey!!
- Na NanaNana
- Not me..
- Why Pink??
- No Way!!
- Hey You!!
- That is right!!
- Not really...
- Ad Girl
- Stephanie-The Dog Walker
- There we go!!
- There you go!!
- Pamela-The Godmother
- I see
- How do I know
- Look there!!
- Kim-The Imposter
- Hey there!!
- 3rd ANNUAL ZENTANGLE-INSPIRED ART EXHIBIT - Pictures
- Mugshot 6 Cindy-The Nurturer
- Mugshot # 5 Regula “Babyface”
- Mugshot 4 Brenda "The Designer"
- Mugshot 3 Kim "The Scoop"
- Mugshot2-Laurie"Smooth as Silk"
- Mugshot1-Karin “Quickdraw”
- 2012 (106)
- December (16)
- 3rd ANNUAL ZENTANGLE-INSPIRED ART EXHIBIT
- Bhimbetka - Cave Paintings
- Bike Ride
- The Team
- Nap Time
- I am up!!
- Collin College Nov-Dec Zentangle Workshop Pictures
- 2013 Zentangle at Rowlett Community Center
- 2013- 4 week Zentangle at Collin College
- 2012 Winter Zentangle Class at Huffhines
- The Barn
- HiltonHead Workshop 2012
- The Grass
- The lonely road
- November (3)
- October (4)
- September (8)
- August (8)
- July (6)
- June (15)
- May (23)
- Kanchipuram Silk Sarees
- MAY 2012 Ezine - Kanchipuram Silk Sarees
- Daily Oils #15
- Daily Oils #14
- Daily Oils #13
- Daily Oils #12
- Daily Oils #11
- Daily Oils #10
- Daily Oils #9
- Daily Oils #8
- Daily Oils #7
- Daily Oils #6
- Daily Oils 5
- Meena Bazaar in Dallas..
- In different light
- Cherry Red Daily Oils 3
- Daily Oils 2
- Values - Daily Oils 1
- FIRST ANNIVERSARY GIVEAWAY --- WINNER
- FIRST ANNIVERSARY GIVEAWAY !!!!
- April 2012 Ezine - Madhubani Paintings
- MADHUBANI Paintings
- Kids Summer ART CAMP 2012
- April (4)
- March (5)
- February (9)
- March Zentangle Advance - White on Black Workshop
- Febraury 2012 Ezine - Sri Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple of Madurai
- Madurai Meenakshi Temple
- Pictures of "WITH LOVE" A Special Valentine's Experience art fair
- Febraury Zentangle Basics Workshop Pictures
- Pictures of OXIDE Gallery Night
- Invitation to "WITH LOVE" A Special Valentine's Experience
- February Zentangle Basics Workshop
- Invitation to OXIDE's February Gallery Night
- January (5)
- December (16)
- 2011 (57)
- December (4)
- November (7)
- October (6)
- September (7)
- Art Journaling - First Page of First Journal...
- Zentangle studio scoop Sep week 4
- Invitation for the Gallery Night at OXIDE Gallery...
- PAA Multicultural Exhibit 2011 and Opening Art Reception
- Zentangle studio scoop Sep Week 2
- September 2011 Ezine - "Ganesh Chaturthi" celebrating Lord Ganesha's Birthday...
- Weekend at Lakewood Summer Arts Faire 2011
- August (11)
- July (7)
- June (7)
- May (8)
- The 56th Annual Juied Members Show Receiption
- Guest post on Balancing Art and Motherhood
- 3 of my Artworks at 56th Annual Juried Members Show 2011
- 5 Reasons why my ART is Unique
- February 2011 Ezine
- March 2011 Ezine
- Art Exhibition at The Courtyard Theater, Plano TX
- All about the new series "Padma - The Lotus"
Tangle Art from Zentempletangles
Recent Postes form zentempletangles.com
Sandhya is a very talented artist, her artworks are truly amazing. The color schemes and the designs that she uses is very unique and is kind to the eyes and happy at heart. All her paintings and artwork reflect a...